The longest journey always begins with the first step, however humble that may be. When Maspeth Federal first opened in 1947, there were two teller stations and an aisle barely wide enough for two people to pass at the same time. The first expansion and modernization took place in 1953, opening up the banking floor considerably. The first branch office opened on Woodhaven Boulevard in Rego Park in 1957. One year later, the sidewalk teller windows opened at the Main Office.
In 1972, the Main Office expanded once again, adding teller stations to meet the increased demand for banking services. In 1974, the third office of Maspeth Federal opened on Metropolitan Avenue in Forest Hills. Two years later, the fourth office opened during our country’s bi-centennial year on Horace Harding Expressway in Fresh Meadows. To round out the decade of the 70’s the Main Office opened three drive-thru teller windows which provided customers with 8am to 8pm weekday banking. The fifth branch office and the first one beyond the Queens border, opened in 1981 on Jericho Turnpike in New Hyde Park, which included the convenience of a drive-thru.
Additional expansion of the facilities occurred in 1986 when the Loan Center building opened directly across the street from the Main Office parking lot. The Main Office drive-thru doubled the number of lanes to six, conveniently open twelve hours a day. In 1998, our Ridgewood branch, located on Fresh Pond Road, opened to fanfare.
Maspeth Federal Savings, We Treat You Like Family!